I had my 1st wisdom tooth (top right) removed while on a holiday 2 weeks prior to visiting Crescent Dental. The procedure back then went super smooth – 2 mins for tooth removal, 3 mins for sutures and I was out of the dentist office in 20 min tops. The socket healed without any complications in 2 weeks. No antibiotic required.
I went to Crescent Dental to remove the 2nd wisdom tooth (top left) and here is where things went downhill quick...!
Now for my experience with Crescent Dental (CD)…
Let me start with good things:
- Superb communication by phone and email/Facebook etc. Managing staff is very responsive and professional.
- Great aftercare. CD employees call and make sure you are ok at a later date. If there are any complications they insist on a free follow-up visit.
Now for the bad things:
- Removal of the wisdom tooth took a lot of time (seemed like forever to me) ~15-20mins. The dentist had to stop 3 times and approach pulling the tooth over and over again. I was told the tooth was stubborn.
- Even though the extraction was anything but easy/routine I was told there is no need for sutures, only a dressing, and antibiotic.
- Next two days after the extraction were a torture! I got a dry socket, most likely from the fact that the extraction was tough and there was a lot of tissue damage in the socket. I asked about sutures twice but was assured by the dentist that they are not necessary. Sutures would have minimized my chances for a dry socket significantly. Trusting the dentist was a huge mistake on my side.
- I showed up for a follow-up visit a few days later (requesting a different dentist!) and the dry socket was confirmed. On the follow-up visit, the dentist also had to remove 2 pieces of bone fragment left in the wound…?! I received a dressing with Alvogyl, which helped the healing process significantly.
In general, my experience with Crescent Dental was very, very unpleasant.
I can see that most reviewers have a good opinion about CD. I can’t exclude that my example was a ‘once off’ slip but it doesn’t change the fact that my tooth extraction was botched.