Dr Rafael Bernabeu is the Medical Director of Instituto Bernabeu.
He graduated with an honours degree in Medicine and Surgery from the medical school of the University of Valencia in 1980 and was certified as an intern by the Department of Medical Physiology, General Pathology and General Surgery. He is a specialist in Obstetrics and Gynaecology since 1984 with continual training since then with placements in different national, European and international centres (New York University; Cornell University in NY; John Hopkins University in Baltimore, etc.).
Medical Doctor, University Miguel Hernandez, Elche, Spain.
State certified obstetrician.
Director of the Reproductive Medicine Professorship in the medical school of the University Miguel Hernandez in Elche since its foundation in 2004, which has its headquarters at the Instituto Bernabeu.
Honorary Associate Professor of the medical school at the University Miguel Hernandez in Elche, Spain.
Associate Professor of Developmental Biology in the Biology Department of the University of Alicante.
Professor of the Human Reproduction master’s programme at the medical school of the University Miguel Hernandez in Elche, Spain.
ESHRE Referee (European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology)
Board Member of the 2000 Foundation of Medical Research
Spokesperson for SEF (Spanish Fertility Society)
Long-standing member of SEF, ESHRE, ASRM (American Society of Reproductive Medicine), SEGO (Spanish Society of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, ASESA (Spanish Society of Andrology) and SGOCV (Society of Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the Valencian Community)
Member of the British Fertility Society (BFS)
President of ANACER: National Association of Assisted Reproduction Centres, which brings together more than twenty prestigious centres from all over Spain.
Organiser-Chairman of numerous Courses, Conferences and Symposia regarding Infertility.
Speaker at various Academic Events within the specialty.
Honorary Partner of the Biotechnology Department at the University of Alicante
University Masters graduate in Excellent Healthcare Centre Management from the European University Miguel de Cervantes. Valladolid. February 2008
Since 1985, some of his most important healthcare activities in the field of Reproductive Medicine are:
• In 1997, the first IVF pregnancy in the Valencian Community, Spain and one of the first in Spain.
• Since 1985 the creation and development of a Sperm Bank
• Since 1989 the creation and development of an Embryo Cryopreservation programme
• Since 1990 the creation and development of an Egg Donation programme
• In 1985 the first pregnancy in Spain and one of the first in the world using the microinjection of Spermatids
• In 2004 the birth of the first girl in the world born free of retinoschisis (hereditary blindness) using PGD techniques
• In 2006 the first baby in the world born free of Marfan Syndrome using MDA during PGD.
• His current area of interest is the study of implantation