Most people enjoy human touch and particularly during pregnancy a touch can convey comfort, awareness and also help alleviate aches and pains.
All of these are of benefit, especially when you are pregnant.
Benefits of Pregnancy Massage include:
• Tranquil relaxation and stress reduction.
• Relief from muscle cramps and spasms, particularly in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs.
• Increase in blood and lymph circulation, which can reduce swelling.
• Reduces stress on weight-bearing joints.
• Improves outcome of labour and eases labour pain.
• Provides support for the new mother with physical and emotional strains of mothering.
Massage during pregnancy differs from a regular massage in a couple of ways. The biggest way it differs is that the person receiving the massage is pregnant, and therefore knowledge of pregnancy and the anatomy of a pregnant woman are very important. This means that positioning during a massage is critical to the safety and well-being of both the mother and the baby she is carrying. There are also parts of the body that should not be massaged.
Massage is beneficial for almost everyone. Even women carrying multiples babies can benefit greatly from massage.
How does pregnancy massage differ from regular massage?
The mothers body must be properly positioned and supported during the massage, using pillows and padding. Proper positioning ensures comfort and safety for the mother and baby.
What are the benefits of pregnancy massage?
Pregnancy massage can help to reduce stress, decrease swelling in the arms and legs, and can also help to relieve aches and pains in muscles and joints.
It is a popular complementary therapy during pregnancy for back pain, when choices for pain relief, such as medication, are often limited.
Not only can massage be physically beneficial, but the human touch can be comforting and provide emotional support during pregnancy.