CONSULTANT OPHTHALMIC SURGEON - BSc, MB BS, FRCOphth
Mr Backhouse has been a consultant at Optegra Eye Hospital Yorkshire since January 2003.
Mr Backhouse has worked as a Consultant Ophthalmologist at St James’ University Hospital since 2002. He has special interests in neuro-ophthalmology, uveitis and refractive surgery and is very actively involved in MOSS (Madagascan Organisation for Saving Sight), a charity which he founded in 1993. Mr Backhouse is also a member of the ‘Yorkshire World Blindness 2020 Group’, which helps ‘eye programmes’ in developing countries.
When not at work, Mr Backhouse spends time with his family and enjoys playing tennis and squash.
Mr Backhouse has held a substantive post at St James’ University Hospital since 2002. He is also a member of the following:
• UK and European Refractive Surgery Society
• North American Neuro-Ophthalmological Society (NANOS)
• European Neuro-Ophthalmological Society (EUNOS)
• International Uveitis Society
• British Uveitis Group and UK Bechets Forum
• Worshipful Society of Apothecaries
• North of England Ophthalmological Society
Mr Backhouse has published 30 papers and given numerous presentations and posters, in his specialist interest.
Mr Backhouse is qualified to use LENSAR™ femtosecond laser technology for cataract and Clarivu (RLE) procedures.