Naples Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr. Peña graduated magna cum laude from the University of Georgia where he was also a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He went on to attain his M.D. at the Medical College of Georgia in 1981 and subsequently served an internship in New Orleans at Charity Hospital, Tulane University. His general surgery residency was completed at Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of Miami, and was followed by a plastic surgery residency at the Medical College of Georgia. Dr. Peña also completed fellowships focusing on congenital defects, facial reconstruction and cosmetic surgery at the University of Miami and the Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital an affiliate of New York University. From 1990 to 1993 he was a clinical instructor at the University of Miami Division of Plastic Surgery.
Board Certification and Professional Memberships
Dr. Peña is proud to be affiliated with the following organizations:
- American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
- American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Florida Medical Association
- Collier County Medical Association
- Lipoplasty Society
- Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Post Graduate Fellowship: Ralph Millard, M.D. at University of Miami
- Post Graduate Fellowship: Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital, New York University
- Plastic Surgery Residency: Medical College of Georgia
- Surgical Residency: Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of Miami
- Surgical Internship: Charity Hospital Tulane University
- Medical Degree: Medical College of Georgia
- Undergraduate: University of Georgia
Dr. Peña believes that it is extremely important to give back to those who are not as fortunate as we are through involvement in local organizations, such as the Boys and Girls Club of Collier County, and international missions. For over ten years, Dr. Peñahas been participating in life-altering medical missions. These missions consist of full surgical and recovery teams, specializing in children and their congenital deformities such as clef lip and palate. Dr. Peña and the medical team perform this much-needed, life-changing surgery on children and young adults over the course of one and two-week missions.
West African Mission
In 2005 and 2006, through Careforce International, Dr. Peña and his medical team traveled to Burkina Faso, a severely impoverished country located in West Africa. During each visit Dr. Peña donated his surgical expertise and performed over 35 surgeries repairing critical birth defects such as cleft lips and acquired defects including traumas, tumors and infections. Additionally, he performed several skin-grafting procedures to help burn victims and teach current reconstructive techniques to medical staff at the local university.
Operation Rainbow in Guatemala, Mexico and Brazil
In 1998, 1999, and 2000, Dr. Peña visited these countries on a medical mission organized by Operation Rainbow a non-profit organization that facilitates doctors donating their time and money to operating in impoverished countries. The mission helped children as well as adults suffering with severe congenital deformities such as cleft lip and palate so they may live a normal, happy life.
Dr. Peña also participates in the following:
- Ronald McDonald House
- On the Board of Directors of the Boys & Girls Club of Collier County
- Medical mission to Jamaica
- Operation Smile helping children in China
- Dr. Peña continues to dedicate his dedication to patients and the surrounding community. In 1998, he received a “Simply the Best” nomination for Best Plastic Surgeon from Naples Illustrated, and was named one of the top doctors in Naples in 2008. In 2005 he received the honor of being named as one of the ten “Men of Distinction” by N magazine for his philanthropic community involvement.